Blog Archive

Packing for BeadFest Santa Fe

This weekend it's all about packing for BeadFest Santa Fe next week. I'm so thrilled to be returning to my favorite city in the US! Santa Fe is a gorgeous art town, and everyone I've met there has been incredibly enthusiastic about the arts.
All of my classes have some openings, so if you'd like to join us and take a class, by all means please do! On March 10 I'm teaching the Embellished Copper Washer Bracelet (pictured above), which is not featured in any of my books or DVDs. We make every single wire component by hand, and use copper washers from Harbor Freight that we hand-forge and texture with our hammers. By the way, I just checked the Harbor Freight web site and they have the package of 110 assorted copper washers on sale for $6.99 plus shipping! By all means, stock up.
The Santa Fe Bracelet pictured above is another all-day class that I'll be offering on March 11. It looks simple, but there's a lot to learn from this one. We'll make three or four coil-wrapped beads and a very sturdy handmade hook clasp. Then we'll make the wire knot links featured in the bracelet. Put it together with our without jump rings—everything depends on the length needed to fit a bracelet to your wrist—and add a counterweight bead dangle near the clasp. I'm bringing my Makita drill so if time permits we'll make twisted-wire jump rings too!
The Fisherman's Catch Necklace pictured above is a real favorite. Once you learn the freeform knotless netting technique, you'll be addicted to it! Take the plainest beads in your stock and turn them into knockout focal pieces in any necklace or bracelet you make... We'll also make twisted-wire jump rings and simple bead connectors to form a necklace. I'll bring samples of other jewelry pieces so that you can see some of the possibilities this design presents. Class is held on March 12.
On March 13 I'm offering two half-day classes: the Squiggly Wrap Bangle (pictured above) and Angel's Earrings (pictured below). Learn to make a beautiful wire squiggly that can enhance bangle bracelets, necklace components, or even beads for earrings. It's really fun. I'm also teaching a simple hook clasp for the bangle (not pictured).
I'll wrap up my week in Santa Fe with this final half-day class on March 13: Angel's Earrings. Make bead dangles, double-coil-wrapped components, an interesting spiral component, and your own handmade ear-hooks. This earring, as well as all the other jewelry pieces featured, can be made beautifully in copper wire as well as sterling silver. All classes are geared for all levels, so if you're a beginner by all means come on out for a class.
We'll be going out for margaritas afterward, and everyone is welcome!
Happy wrapping,
Sharilyn