Blog Archive

Ten on Tuesday...

Here is this week's edition of
Ten on Tuesday c/o Roots and Rings!

It's about food!!! yay!

1.  What condiments are always, always in your fridge?
We are definitely a mayo family, so that's always in there.  We also keep your regular ketchup, mustard, pickles, etc.  There is usually a plethora of different salad dressings and grilling/marinating sauces.  Lately though, sugar free/low fat chocolate syrup has been hanging out in the refridgerator door.  Instead of splurging on brownies, ice cream, and other sweets, I keep chocolate syrup around and just have a small glass of chocolate milk to satisfy my sweet tooth.

2.  How do you like your steak cooked?  Your burgers?
Oh red meat...how I miss thee, sometimes.  I'm a vegetarian now (as of last October), but when/if I did eat a steak or a burger I prefer to have it cooked medium-well.  I like them actually COOKED so that I know it's "safe" but I like when there is a little pink and not dry. 

3.  What's your favorite use for fresh tomatoes?
SANDWICH!  When I go to my grandmother's house, there is nothing better than when she gets the spread out and we just make sandwiches.  But there is always ANYTHING you'd want available to put on your sandwich (along with different bread choices).  I used to reach for the roast beef, but now I just love two big slices of tomato (from my grandparents' garden) with lettuce, cheese, mayo, mustard and pickles.

4.  What's your go-to dinner when you haven't planned anything in advance and you don't feel like going out?
That would be a baked (micorwaved) sweet potato with some sort of green veggie.  We usually keep a few in the kitchen just for those occasions. That, or black beans and rice.  We always have everything we need for that.

5.  What's your favorite snack food lately?
Oh okay, I am currently obsessed with the new Peanut Butter Snickers squares.  They are so good and so addicting!  It's hilarious because they come two in a pack and on the wrapper it tells you to twist the wrapper after eating one and save the other one for later.  I appreciate the encouraging words concerning my portion control, but really?  You think I can eat just one?...a HEALTHY snack food though?  I love bananas.  They are designed to be a snack food...they come with their own packaging!

6.  What's your favorite weekend breakfast to make at home?
I love eggs, and toast (jelly, cheese, or cinnamon), and grits.  Being a southern girl, Grits were always a given on the weekends.  I also LOVE pancakes/waffles!

7.  What's your favorite thing to grill?  How do you do it?
I loooooooove grilled veggies.  Put some squash, zuchinni, onions, and peppers on a grill and I'm a happy girl.  Grilled pineapple is also amazing.  But I also LOVE grilled corn.  My Dad used to do this way back.  You butter the corn and go ahead and salt and pepper the ears.  You can also do this with bacon, wrap the corn in bacon.  But then, you wrap each ear of corn in aluminum foil and grill them...sooooo good.  I would have normally said a steak...but no more.

8.  What's your favorite wine under $10?  If you're not a wine person, what brand of beer is your favorite?
Haha, like I buy wine that ISN'T under $10.  I've always been a fan of the Yellow Tail brand of wine.  My friends from college can vouch for me on that one.  I'm predominately a red wine lover.  My favorite being pinot noir or cabernet-merlot.  Sometimes merlot can be too much.  So the Yellow Tail Pinot Noir or their Cab-Merlot (the one with the blue label).  But you also can't go wrong with a little two-buck Chuck.  Beer, I like Miller Lite or Michelob Ultra.  If I have the money for it, I love Blue Moon with an orange slice in it.

9.  Give us your most delicious cocktail recipe.
I'm pretty simple with cocktails.  I love just a good Jameson and Ginger Ale, or a Soco and Soda (preferably Diet Dr. Pepper).  But if you're talking about something with juice I like cranberry, vodka, and lime juice.

10. How do you like your eggs?
Scrambled with a little milk.  But, and this is a family joke now, I like them "shiny".  When my grandmother makes my eggs she cooks them just long enough that they are still a little shiny, not dry...perfect.  Also, I love eggs with a little ketchup (if they ARE dry) or maple syrup.

...I love food...and I love talking about food almost as much as I love eating food.

XOXO Bevin