Blog Archive

NEW Dates! NEW classes! Wild Wire Women Retreats...

I just posted on my WWW blog some NEW dates for NEW classes held here at my mountain home in Idyllwild, California. If you love wire, metal, and found objects (and beads!), you will find something terrific to make and to treasure.
For example, above you can see a sampling (just a sampling) of the bangle cuffs you can make using sheet metal, hammers, a Dremel, etchant solution, hole punches, rivets, nuts & bolts, and more. This is an all-day workshop, very intensive, and full of great techniques for grungy jewelry making. I supply all the copper sheet metal you need to make three cuffs!
The photo below shows my "faux raku" polymer clay beads, another full-day class that results in the most gorgeous beads in a variety of shapes and sizes—super fun and creative!
I provide all the materials needed to make your beads; you may need additional small beads and pearls to make a finished jewelry piece if you so desire.
The image below is my "Fruit of the Vine" necklace with lots of wire links, charms, bead wraps and dangles plus a handmade clasp. It is intensive, but an ambitious beginner could tackle it. You might finish a necklace as pictured below in one day, but it might take more time... in any case, you will love the finished showpiece! I supply all the copper wire to make a necklace, and you provide your own pendant and beads/pearls.
Copper Tubing Bracelets (below) are a blast! Use common tubing from the hardware store (I provide it for you), wire (copper wire is provided, but if you wish to use silver wire you must bring your own), and a few beads as desired... we use wire not only to make fabulous wrapped bead connectors but also a variety of shaped charms. Foreign coins can be punched and altered as well, and added to your special piece. It's the coolest thing ever; even your teenagers will like these bracelets!
I teach a variety of wire weaving classes, too. Below is a new creation using a Frozen Charlotte doll, beads, pearls, vintage buttons, and (naturally) fine-gauge wire. But this is only one possibility amongst many! Check out my Wire Weaving page for more suggestions for what you can create. All the copper wire you need for each project is provided in your workshop fee.
I still offer some of my most popular standbys, too. For example, the Green Goddess necklace pictured below is a very popular piece that I've taught several times in my mountain studio. You will learn wire coiling and shaping techniques, a handmade chain, S-clasp with bead, wrapped eye-pins and more. All the copper wire you need to make a finished necklace is provided.
There are several more workshops—both full-day and half-day classes—offered in my new lineup. I hope you'll take some time to peruse them all and put them on your list of must-do workshops! To see my updated offerings, click here.
Here's the NEW schedule of Wild Wire Women retreats offered in my home in Idyllwild, California for the remainder of 2011:
September 15-19
September 22-26
September 29-October 3
October 6-10
October 13-17
October 20-24
October 27-31
November 3-7
November 10-14
November 17-21
December 1-5
December 8-12
December 15-19
If you would like to join me in Idyllwild for a Wild Wire Women retreat, check out my blog where I provide all the details. If you have any questions or would like to register now for a date listed above, you can contact me at sharilynmiller@mac.com.
I'm excited to be offering such a terrific new lineup, and to be using sheet metal and found objects as well as wire to share my low-tech techniques for making amazing jewelry. In September I'll be back from teaching a found-object jewelry series in Cortona, Italy, so I'm sure to have plenty of stories to share! Looking forward to seeing you soon in Idyllwild...
Happy wrapping,