Blog Archive

Celebrate Spring with a 'Herbed Party'...

Hello my dears and happy Thursday! With Easter just around the corner, my Swedish mind inevitably drifts to Spring. I guess this proves that you can 'take the girl out of Sweden but not Sweden out of the girl', because really, I should be immersing myself in Autumnal glory as this is the season we're enjoying here in Sydney right now.. Oh well..


So, the other day I came a cross this suite of pretty pictures, and suddenly found myself dreaming up a 'herb themed lunch' with a buffet of foods and drinks inspired by the first harvest of herbs from the Spring garden. Why not eh?!

 I love this idea!
I was thinking baskets of freshly baked breads - perhaps some with flaky sea salt and fresh rosemary on top. Racks of 'Herb crusted Spring lamb' (click for recipe) and a large tray of Swedish 'Hasselbacks Potatis' (see here for recipe).

 Beautiful picture and recipe via 'Almost Bourdain'

There would also be bowls of beautiful ‘Salsa Verde(click for recipe), and scrumptious ‘Pesto Genovese’ (click for recipe). And perhaps a nice big plate of lightly steamed green asparagus with a side of sage butter, and a big salad of tender Spring time vegetables tossed with fresh Coriander leaves & a light dressing.


The hardcore ‘Scandi’ that I am, I would also add a fresh batch of ‘Skagen Röra' (see my mother's recipe below), and most definitely also a tray of home made ‘Gravlax’ (click for recipe) fringed with zingy lemon wedges. Both of these recipes use fresh dill as a core note and out of all herbs, dill is the one that is most true to my beloved Sweden. At least in my humble opinion.


I would serve up a variety of good wines (I love Lewin Estate Art Series whites, and Penfold's reds) and also set up a side table with a few jugs of flavoured water.  


 

I also love ‘lavender flavoured’, and ‘rose or tulip petal’ water. These are wonderful, and if you decide to make them please ensure you use 'pesticide free' petals only. Perhaps you grow these in the garden, but if you are relying on your local florist or flower market, please ensure you tell them what you are using the petals for so that you are given ones that are 'suitable for consumption.
 This image via

Last but not least. If you are able to get your mittens on some fresh passion fruit, I can highly recommend you make Australian chef Bill Granger's 'Passionfruit & coconut slice' for desert! Serve up with minted whipped cream and reap the rewards! Bake two - you'll need it!

This image via 'Almost Bourdain'

Hope you feel inspired to put on your own 'Herbed Party' to celebrate the unfolding Spring in the Northern hemisphere. Such a glorious time of the year and so much fun to have!


xx Charlotta