Blog Archive

Savings on Groceries: The Treasure Box

June 2011 Protein Box JPG
I just heard about this wonderful program at my local church and had to tell you about it. It's called The Treasure Box, a division of Good Source Solutions (a food-distribution company).
Basically it's set up to help families get through this dratted recession by providing boxes of grocery items at a greatly reduced rate. They offer boxes of prepared frozen meals, the protein box for grilling (that's the one I ordered), a breakfast box, one called "simply enough," and more. Each month the menu changes a bit, so you have to look it over carefully before you order. I'm not big on breakfast items or prepared TV dinners, so I just went with the simple protein box which is ideal for summer grilling.
Here's a link to the June menu offerings: MENU
I'm only paying $32 for a box of grilling meats that would normally cost $60 or even more (especially in Idyllwild, where grocery items are expensive). I think that's a great deal. You don't have to be "poor" to use the Treasure Box system, but you do have to find a social organization (such as a church or synagogue, or something similar) in your area that's set up to provide distribution of the boxes on designated dates. You can order a box online here. Or you can order through your social organization's team of volunteers.
I hope you find this information helpful. I think it's a great program, especially for growing families on tight budgets, but it's great for single people and seniors who don't like to prepare big meals. It's a way to save money during very difficult and stressful times, and I'm all for that!
Sharilyn