Blog Archive

More Fun in the Studio!

Have any of you tried using an engraver on metal? I have a Dremel® engraver that I just love for practical purposes such as engraving my name on my tools (works on the wooden handle or the metal tool itself) but lately I pondered, wouldn't be FUN to use an engraver on metal for decorative purposes?
For the leaf bangle above, I drew a simple leaf shape in copper sheet and sawed it out. Then I did lots of filing and polishing to smooth the edges, hammered the edges with various texturing hammers (Fretz being my favorite brand) and thought, what's next?
So I freehand drew some simple shapes in the leaf using a Sharpie, and then experimented with my Dremel® engraver. It's a great little tool and not too expensive (under $20), lots of fun to use but I do suggest earplugs! The vibrating noise is horrific, and you have to get really close up to it to see what you're doing.
I think I'll be using my engraver a lot more now, for fun as well as practical projects!
Happy wrapping,
Sharilyn