Blog Archive

"black rosettes"


Those black rosettes
sewn upon your top hat.
Your riding boots
gently clapping on the streets,
and through the puddles of rain.

I waltzed down the sidewalks,
dangling a foot from the curb,
whispering dreams to the alleys,
and wishing stray cats could talk.
For my heart was disturbed.

I held your faded trench coat
pressed to my breast, and deeply
breathed in your lingering scent.
Then you ran to me, asked where I had been,
but I couldn't forget those black rosettes.

Your brow furrowed, your eyes cried to mine.
But I saw the puddles were empty and dry.
You kissed my cold hands.
Then we went off to our separate whimsy lands.
Lonely was I.

{Black Rosettes, by Maria Elyse}

. . .

I've been working on this poem for at least a week, and I finally finished it. I was actually very nervous about posting it, as I've never finished any of my longer poems before, and I feel somewhat unsure of this one. I feel like it's my little baby that I don't want to let go of or something like that. I hope you all like it!

xo
Maria Elyse