Blog Archive

APT INSPIRATION

Our apartment is unique in that it is a traditional loft located in what used to be a manufacturing building,” says Radziwill. “There are elements preserved from the original building—exposed brick walls, high ceilings, wood beams, and pocket doors—that give off a lovely charm.”

“It was important to me that the place I live be clean and airy with lots of natural light,” says Radziwill. “I decorated it myself, and I went with a sort of ‘Less is more’ philosophy. I didn’t want anything overdecorated or filled with clutter.”

“My favorite piece of furniture would have to be our coffee table in the living room,” she says. “For years we did not even have one, because I could not find one that fit perfectly, but I recently stumbled upon this one at the Cassina store in SoHo. It is actually made up of four sectionals pushed together. It’s a creative way to highlight some of our favorite books so they don’t get lost in the library.”

“The pool table was my husband’s addition to the apartment, and the red really felt like a nice finishing touch,” says Radziwill. “It’s fun, and maybe a little too much fun.”

"One of my favorite pieces of art in the apartment is the abstract James Rosenquist that hangs behind the pool table. I use contemporary art and modern books as a means of introducing color into the apartment, and I am very lucky that one of our closest friends, Alexander Acquavella, is also an art adviser."

“We each have our own work spaces in our library office,” she says. “Mine is the Mac, his is the PC, and our desks are from the MoMA store. Since we share a bathroom, we decided that we definitely need separate desks. It’s a great solution for ensuring a happy marriage.”

“My Epson Stylus Photo R2880 inkjet printer was one of the best presents I ever received,” says Radziwill. “I use it to print photographs, which I later frame and place strategically all over the apartment. I mix the older, vintage-looking photographs with new ones, but my favorites are the pictures of my husband and me as children, posing with our respective siblings.”

“I kept the simplicity theme going in the bedroom, where I used a lot of white, cream, beige, and brown,” she says. “I created this bedding ensemble at Schweitzer Linen, mixing and matching my favorite pieces from various lines to create a complete set. The shagreen dresser and bedside tables are R&Y Augousti, and the Lucite lamps are from Aero.”

“The silver boxes are called bonbonnières. My husband’s family is Greek, and it is a tradition for them to give these small boxes as favors to guests. I have collected them throughout the years at the weddings and christenings of family members and friends,” Radziwill says. "The one with the PD monogram is the box we gave out at our wedding.”

“This is a re-creation of a table setting I recently used when I had sixteen people over to celebrate the birthday of one of my closest friends,” says Radziwill. “A few of the other girls and I cooked the meal—and it was delicious.”

“I fell in love with these magnificent hand-painted glass plates from the Dior boutique in Paris, and I built the rest of my table around them,” Radziwill says. The other items include champagne flutes from Pampaloni, silver swans, and turquoise candlesticks from Buccellati, and silverware from the Conran Shop. The table is Minotti, and the Lucite chairs are from the MoMA Store.

“I love to cook, and I have taken a few classes to improve my skills,” Radziwill says. “But I have a lot to learn. I am definitely not a chef yet!”

"These glasses are from the Dior boutique," says Radziwill. "I keep them on hand in case a guest wants water . . . or a cocktail!"

Devon Radziwill in her Crosby Street apartment wearing a dress by Isabel Marant.

vogue.com