Blog Archive

Down with the Homesickness...and frozen bananas...

Hey y'all.

I'm not going to make this a long, sappy, "I miss home" post.  However, it helps me to write it out and get it off my chest.  I'm having a great time here in Austin, but change is always difficult.  I've been working a lot, which helps, but then I come home, tired, all I want is a hug from my Momma, give my dog, Katie, a treat or hear a funny story from Dad (my former "roommates").  I've had a hard time with it in the past few days, but I hit a point today when I just let it all out.  I had to run to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription (which has been a feat to start with...yay moving) and there was an issue with my insurance and I ended up having to pay full price for the prescription.  If you're new to the blog...I lost my job at a high school last year, but because of the manner in which my position was cut (due to budget cuts), I was supposed to be able to keep my health insurance for at least another year.  Well, right after I moved, the paperwork to update everything arrived at my parents' house.  That, along with other wonderful mail that hasn't been updated with my new address, is currently all in a box and making its way to Austin, TX.  I also realized on the way back to my apartment that my prescription had been changed.  I rushed back over to Walgreen's to see what's up and while the pharmacist (who, bless her, was only doing her job) reassured me that it's another generic version of what I HAD been on and it shouldn't change anything...I felt the tears, welling up.  I kept my composure until I hit the beauty aisle on the way out.  The sunglasses went on, and I boo-hooed all the way back to the apartment.  I'm still a little teary right now, typing this, but luckily my roomies are out and aren't here to witness this...but now they'll read this and it will be all kinds of awkward (but that's how we roll anyways)...Hey Lucy and Joanna!  Love you! :-)  But, hopefully this will all be resolved in the next few days.  Moving away is tough.  Back home we use a "local pharmacy" not a "chain" (i.e. Walgreen's, CVS, Target, etc.).  It's the same pharmacy my grandparents have been using for years.  They know my name when I walk in the door and always ask how Anita and Al are doing (my Nana and Granddaddy).  I can "charge" my prescription to "our account" and be on my way in 5 minutes!  I miss that.

BUT AAAAAAAANYWAYS...(change of subject)
The one thing that we DON'T have back home is a frozen banana stand.  Haha I said it was a change of subject.  We're all big Arrested Development fans, the roomies and I, and we were DELIGHTED to learn that Austin has its very own frozen banana stand, like the Bluths!  It's called "Bananarchy"
Another one of Austin's food trucks that we have now come to love.
Especially when they have tons of Arrested Development references such as...
The "Gob"
And this...
"There's always money in the Banana Stand"
 
They even had BANANAGRAMS for you to play with while you wait for your banana!
...but we had to get creative with the letters they had left.

So...those moments when I DO get homesick and almost feel like driving to the airport and hopping on a plane back home, I'm trying to remember all of the wonderful times I will have here and have been having, so far.  (Full-Time) Jobs and Money will come (hopefully soon), so make the most of the time I have and make great memories!

XOXO Bevin