Blog Archive

A Beautiful, Snowy Day!

We had a gorgeous "snow dump" a few days ago and I took photos before all the magic melted away (as it's doing right now). Normally when we do get snow up here in Idyllwild, it's just a few inches at a time. But as you can see below, there was at least a foot of snow on my entryway and railings this week.
Ivy wanted to go out, and normally I don't allow it (coyotes in the neighborhood, not to mention the bobcat who owns the territory where my house is situated). But I had a feeling she'd come right back inside, and I was right about that. Ivy isn't too keen on getting her paws wet!
I always find it challenging to convey just how beautiful my workshop/studio is now that I've completed the remodel. New 5x8-foot windows take in the surrounding national forest, and when it snows the sunlight bounces off the whiteness and fills my creativity room with a cheerful light.
Here's a funny sight: My birdbath! Mom got it for me last summer; you attach it to the railing and fill it with water, or with nuts and seeds. It gets so hot and dry up here in the summertime, those of us who are fortunate enough to live here enjoy providing water for the birds and chipmunks and gray squirrels.
The snow is melting fast now, but we're expecting another big storm this Saturday with snow levels down to 1,500 feet in elevation! My house is at 5,000 feet, so I'm sure to get at least a foot of snow. I'll take more photos and post them.
Once spring arrives, the daffies will start poking up their yellow heads and the California Poppies and other wildflowers will bloom all over the mountains. We'll see brand-new baby deer, raucous young woodpeckers, squirrels, and who knows what else! Oh, lots of hummingbirds. Believe it or not, I just saw a hummingbird today. That's how quickly the sun warms even a snowy winter day in Idyllwild.
Happy wrapping,
p.s. I have lots of openings in my Wild Wire Women retreats. Spring and summer are perfect times to visit Idyllwild and take a weekend workshop in the mountains... if you're interested, visit my informational blog by clicking here.