Blog Archive

Neponset Reservoir, Foxboro, MA

I've only fished here once but it was the most disappointing day of fishing I have ever experienced. The Neponset Reservoir is the biggest body of water that I've fished and at first glance it seemed like an amazing find. There are sections of thick lilly pads, long grass, different points and coves, and a huge area that is all submerged tree stumps. Having said all that, I fished it for 5 hours and caught 2 less than average sized bass. Maybe it was the bait I used or it just wasn't my day but I was seriously let down.

Pretty much the entire shore of the reservoir is privately owned and as far as I can find, there is no public boat ramp and only a little bit of shore line fishing.  I was able to get my 2 person john boat in by backing my Explorer down a dirt path located just off of Edwards Rd near the Beach St intersection.  You can also fish from the shore at the end of this path as well. 

The reservoir is divided into two halves, eastern and western halves.  If you drop your boat in on Edward Rd, you will be in the northern end of the eastern half.  The weeds are very thick up there but you will see a couple of points and drops to fish almost immediately.  If you travel down to the southern end you will find all of the submerged trees which didn't produce any results for me.  Along the way down you will encounter 3 islands that look like they should produce some bass as well as a few random patches of lilly pads.

To be honest, although I had limited success here, I'd love to give it another shot just because it looks like a bass haven and its just too tempting.  I think if I do go back, I'd check out the western half since it gets more sunlight during the early mornings which warms the water more quickly drawing the fish in to shallow waters.  If you've had any success here, I'd love to hear about it.

Successful Baits: None Yet
Shore Fishing? Yes but limited.
Boat Access? Yes off of Edwards Rd
Boat Ramp? No.



See the Neponset Reservoir in Google Maps