Blog Archive

Lake Metacomet, Belchertown, MA

This is place where I've caught my biggest fish.  In early May this year, I took my boat out here and while fishing in about 2 feet of water, I caught a 4 pounder, and two 3.5 pounders.  This is definitely my favorite spot to fish in the Amherst are.  The problem here is that if you don't own a boat or own land on the lake you won't be able to fish it; there's no open shore spots to fish from.  If you do own a boat, I suggest you get it in here.  There is a boat ramp off of Poole Road. 

I fished the eastern shoreline pretty much the whole time I was there.  There is a little cove that is about 2 feet deep the whole way in (about 100 feet) that was loaded with fish in early May.  I went back in the middle of June and I think it was a little too late.  All the big fish had gone back to the middle of the lake and all that was left were the new born baby bass.  Along the entire eastern shore, there are lilly pads and bushes that run into the water about 5 feet.  It's a great place to cast right next to the bushes and pull out tons of bass.

I spent about 9 hours out on the lake one day and went around the entire shoreline of the lake twice.  I caught fish on the southern, eastern, and western shores.  The northern shore was clear of any weeds or lilly pads and was very hard to fish.  There are a couple docks you can work but it's not worth your time.

The lake gets pretty deep in the middle, which is where I assume the fish headed after the spawn period.  You can use a deep diving crank bait or a lipless crank bait to get down to them.

Successful Baits: Worms- Pumpkin Seed/ w Red Flakes, Black and blue.  Frogs- Light Green.
Shore Fishing? No
Boat Access? Yes, off Poole Road.
Boat Ramp? Yes



See Lake Metacomet in Google Maps