Mugil Madness

I know, I know, their not actually Mugils, but their still Mullet and I think Mugils is just such a cool name for a fish. The Mugil Cephalus is actually the Sea Mullet and the one that I was engaged with this morning at one of my local marinas was actually the Aldrichetta Forsteri or more commonly known as the Yellow Eye Mullet. That aside I’m still going to call them Mugils
I recently bought myself a nice light setup for soft plastics and various light tackle applications and decided to give it my first good run this morning. My aim was to target some of the large schools of Mugils that call my local marinas home, and in doing so not only increase my "Home Brand" bait supply that resides in my freezer but also have some fun with the new out-fit.
I had heard that Mugils give a very good account of themselves when hooked on light tackle but that they are also notoriously fussy feeders and that there in lies the problem.

The first thing I did was post the question “Anyone had any success with Mullet” on my local fishing forum (Western Angler). I had a few responses from people with some advice on tackle and tactics, but I was still very much in the dark and so decided to cover a few bases. The main consensus was one that a small ball of white bread on a very small number 12 or 14 size hook will work if the fish are fired up with a bread slurry first.
This method would become the first arrow in my quiver. I also decided to try some Gulp worms as I have had success on them with other fussy eaters like Buffalo Bream. I also took some ox heart as that can also help attract a strike in finicky eaters.

After a Little bit of messing around with different rigs and bait presentations we finally seemed to get things right and slowly but surely the fish began to come. I think I’ve already given enough tips so ill let you work out the rest. Good luck!