Blog Archive

Warren river Salmon run



We headed down to Warren River on the weekend with some mates from Boyup Brook. I took Carl my partner in crime with me as we both wanted to try and bag our first big Australian Salmon. We got there about lunch time on Saturday and set-up in the dunes behind the beach and even though there were quite a few people set up already we had no problems finding somewhere. We staked a claim on a gutter the first night but didn’t get anything more than a few herring and a stingray and with only a couple of salmon heads on the beach from previous salmon hunters things weren't looking good.

Carl an I were up before the rest of the guys the next morning an by just after first light we were banging metals and poppers into the gutter we had fished the previous night. The main difference was now we were being helped by a rising high tide, hopefully this would bring the fish on the bite. It was only his second cast when Carl hooked a nice 5.5 kilo torpedo (his first good salmon) and not for a lack of trying all i could manage was one small salmon trout.
With only a couple more taps it went quiet. By the time the others were up and fishing it was all over. We spent the rest of the day exploring the beautiful scenery around the mouth of the Warren River, which enters the ocean in yeagerup national park. The mouth of the river only breaks through the sand-bar that seperates it from the Indian Ocean a couple of times a year after heavy rains further up the river. Its the perfect spot for a quick wash, even if it is very, very, fresh.

The second night saw zero fish landed and with only the next morning to go before we had to head home I was getting nervous, Surely we hadn't come to what is a salmon fishers paradise only to got home without any fish and our tails between our legs. Although we hadn’t pulled any fish from it the previous night Carl and I decided to hit the same gutter because it was the nicest one we'd found within 5 kms of the camp, and had more than enough room to fish 6 fisherman. This time everyone was up before dawn and we were all on the beach at first light, Carl and I didn’t bother with bait we just went straight back to metals. After about half and hour without a tap on the metal slices I decided to change to a Richter plug and see if i could arouse any interest. First cast BANG!!! Onto an absolute horse defiantly bigger than the one the previous day and tail walking everywhere. I now understand why people go back year after year after year chasing these power houses, the strength of the beast was amazing. As the waves came in I could see it hanging in the gutter catching its breath before another launch or powerful run. I was using my new Sensor Surf graphite rod by Diawa, matched with my Shimano Stradic 8000 spooled with 20 pound line and a 30 pound Penn 10x wind on leader. The outfit was doing the job perfectly before during one of its ariel assaults the salmon shook the hooks and won its well earned freedom. Bummer! Salmon 1 Russ 0.


Carl had already changed to a Richter before I lost the first fish and was on again. He had no problems with this one and it was quickly on the beach. One of the other guys was still using metals and not even getting a hit. The fish were definatly after the surface lures. The other boys (having caught thousands on previous trips) were sitting back enjoying the show and doing some camera work for us.
After a couple more foul hook-ups resulting in Salmon heading one direction and my popper heading the other I finally beached one. A healthy 5 kilo fish. Having only fished the south coast once for salmon I was stoked, the righter had done the job. The bite was fast and hard and over in about half an hour. Ive read that the minor feeding times can be a shorter but more viscious so maybe that was the reason.



With a few Salmon in the tropical box it was time to head back to camp, pack up and hit the frog and toad. What a great first trip to Yeagerup. Ill defiantly be heading back sometime in the future.

As a foot note to the weekend, I had heard mixed reports about the edibility of Australian Salmon so wasn't to sure how they were going to eat. I started thinking along the lines of fish cakes or curry but as I was filleting one last night and only being within arms reach of the BBQ I fired it up. I grilled a few pieces with some olive oil and salt and pepper. YUM! I had to get another pack out of the freezer and grill a second lot. I have a bit of trouble getting my wife to eat Tailor and Herring but she loved the salmon. I know what Ill be having for tea tonight.








Here is a like to a video of the gutter that we were fishing.....