Blog Archive

Multi strand leader or single strand?

It was while fishing at Quobba station back in 2007 when I first saw other fisherman using single strand game wire as opposed to multi strand wire weld or nylon coated leader for attaching their lure or hooks to their main line or shockleader. I didnt think much of it at the time as I was happy to sit at camp in the afternoons, spin a few yarns over a few beers and tie my multi strand leaders.

It was not till a trip to dirk Harthog island earlier this year, when I was getting all my gear in order, and working out how much of this and how much of that I would need, that I saw the single strand game wire on the shelf of my local tackle shop and thought back to those rigged lures Id seen a few years earlier back at Quobba.

I grabbed a packet of 60 kilo wire and chucked it in my shopping basket. I didn't bother with any more multi strand as I already had a couple of spools of wire weld and nylon coated. The back of the packet had some really clear diagrams of how to tie a Haywire twist and it is really one of the strongest and easiest knots to tie when using game wire.



I connected a 56kg cross lock snap swival to one end which would allow me to quickly change lures, and then used about 300mm of the game wire before adding a 50kg barrel swival to eliminate line twist. the whole rig only took about 2 minutes to tie and so had a clear advantage
over the wire weld or multistrand rigs.

I made about six rigs before I left to go on my week long fishing adventure to the North West and at the end of the week had only used four. I landed a some good fish with the single strand wire rig, including a twenty kilo plus Spanish Mackeral, and never had one failure.
to say Iwas impressed at the strength of the rig would be an understatment. The ease at which you can tie them and my trust in the rigs ability to stand up to some serious punishment makes it a clear cut winner over multi strand or wire weld rigs. I cant see myself returning to multistrand anytime soon, and would highly recomend getting some and giving it a go if you use a lot of wire leaders.



Cheers Russ